- In order to be eligible for a Debt Relief Order, you must meet certain criteria:
- Your qualifying debts must be less than £30,000.
- You must have assets totalling no more than £2000 in value. Certain assets are exempt for the purposes of Debt Relief Orders. For example cars under £2000 in value, household equipment and furniture and any materials you use for your work will not count against your total assets.
- Your monthly disposable income, that is to say what you have left once you have paid all your expenses, must be no more than £75.
- You must have lived in or operated a business in England or Wales during the last three years.
You will not be eligible for a Debt Relief Order if
- You are currently bankrupt
- You have or have applied for an IVA.
- You have been given a Bankruptcy Restrictions Order
- You have already had a Debt Relief Order within the past 6 years.
- Your creditors have applied to make you declare bankruptcy, but the hearing has yet to take place. In these circumstances, it would be necessary to obtain permission from your creditors before applying for a Debt Relief Order.
The eligibility criteria is such that Debt Relief Orders really are available only to those who really cannot afford to pay back their debts and are designed with those with the least money in mind.
Get in touch for more information or to apply for a Debt Relief Order.